One of the things that I found to be interesting in this weeks reading was reading about Frumentius the "Apostle to the Abyssinians." Pople sometimes think that Africa is a really remote place, but even in those remote places, God finds ways to bring his word and message to the people all over the world. Reading about the similarities between Frumentius' experiences and Joseph was also neat. Plus the fact that he used his position in government to promote the gospel and Christianity is just amazing.
What I found interesting from the reading was all of the different religions that influenced ancient Africa. Frumentius brought Christianity to Aksum. Islam came to Africa from Eastern Europe. Christianity was the main religion in Aksum until they fell under attack by Muslim invaders. This attack seriously hurt Aksum, because they could no longer make contact with Europe. North Africa was now under Islamic control. Unlike Aksum, the Islamic tribes may or may not have been truly Islamic. Muslims that visited these tribes were disappointed, because they used it as a structure but did not actually believe in the teachings. These tribes structured their education, currency, and government around Islamic principles.
I found it interesting that the rulers of Mali were supposed to be so perfect that they were supposed to commit suicide before they could acknowledge their mortality and imperfection. This seems to be common trait with ancient rulers; they needed to be considered vastly superior to the common man or they would not be able to gain the respect of their people.
What I found interesting in this week’s reading of African culture was that at one time the Aksum kingdom embraced Christianity, many African cultures flourished in gold, iron, ivory and many other things, native Africans had their own language, and finally that many people in Africa were polygamist. Around AD 330 the Aksum kingdom in Africa embracing Christianity and through their faith the spread there trade to the Roman Empire. The kingdom’s conversion of Christianity was done by a Syrian Christian named Frumentius.
I found the contrast of the different family structures in the eastern and African cultures interesting. In America and Europe today, only a mother, father, and their children will live in the same house, sometimes with an ailing elder relative. In Africa and Asia, however, basically everyone who was related would live together. Admittedly, this was in ancient times, but I think some people in the East live under the same idea today. -Katie
I find it interesting that the Mali kings were given a position like a god but without the title. Just like other kings of the ancient world the Mali kings could not be seen or portrayed as fallible, they had to maintain the aura of power around themselves. The thing that is totally ridicules is that the people who served him and I’m sure quite a few of the common people knew that the king was just like them. He was not a superhuman, someone who was somehow above them.
One similarity in the chapter that I thought was pretty cool was Frumentius and Joseph. They were both sold into slavery, Frumentius by pirates and Joseph by his brothers. Earning the trust of some of the most powerful rulers in their country, both rose to high governmental positions with great power. Frumentius and Joseph both accomplished great things for God because of their dedication and faithfulness.
What i found to be interesting about this weeks reading was the stroy of frumentius. The story of Frumentius is kinda like the story of joseph. frumentius and his brother were sold into slavery, and God used what seemed like a bad thing and turned it into a good thing. He used Frumentius to bring christianity to aksum.
Something that I thought was very significant in this week's readings was how many kingdoms were actually in Africa. When I think of Africa I think of animals and nothing else at all. This really changed my perspective on Africa. There were so many kingdoms that flourished there and they were just as advanced as other civilizations at the time. They had trade and had gold and numerous other treasures. Each civilization liked different things more than others. For example, the Benin kingdom was known for making very nice bronze statues and items and how the Kanem kingdom liked military items and camel caravans. Another thing that I think is interesting is when you look at the map of where all the ancient civilizations are they are all by that one spot. Most likely they wanted to all be by that one area since there are so many rivers for growing crops. There were no civilizations near the Congo River. I wonder why they didn't go there to live. No other civilizations are near the Congo River which would make it easy to take over. It seems that they were all fighting at that same place, even though there is some land that is just as good a while away.
SORRY THIS IS LATE: I WAS OUT OF TOWN. Will have a signed parental exemption at class Mr. Parker
Anywho,
This week, what struck me was the depth of African culture that I didn’t know existed before. I always pictured the Africans as tribal scavengers, living from one hunting ground to the next with little language and no sophisticated culture as they were distanced from the class of the European and Arabic societies. Yet, although separated geographically by the Sahara Desert, many African cultures had rich societies. First, they had the coherence to execute war strategies. Second, they also were master craftsmen. And finally, the African nations had established cultures and flourishing societies that were in no way primitive. I was amazed this week at the diverse and advanced cultures of Ancient Africa.
If you have an item that you think we should post on this blog, write it up and click here to send it to us. New entries are reviewed at least once a week.
10 comments:
One of the things that I found to be interesting in this weeks reading was reading about Frumentius the "Apostle to the Abyssinians." Pople sometimes think that Africa is a really remote place, but even in those remote places, God finds ways to bring his word and message to the people all over the world. Reading about the similarities between Frumentius' experiences and Joseph was also neat. Plus the fact that he used his position in government to promote the gospel and Christianity is just amazing.
Hi Everyone,
What I found interesting from the reading was all of the different religions that influenced ancient Africa. Frumentius brought Christianity to Aksum. Islam came to Africa from Eastern Europe. Christianity was the main religion in Aksum until they fell under attack by Muslim invaders. This attack seriously hurt Aksum, because they could no longer make contact with Europe. North Africa was now under Islamic control. Unlike Aksum, the Islamic tribes may or may not have been truly Islamic. Muslims that visited these tribes were disappointed, because they used it as a structure but did not actually believe in the teachings. These tribes structured their education, currency, and government around Islamic principles.
I found it interesting that the rulers of Mali were supposed to be so perfect that they were supposed to commit suicide before they could acknowledge their mortality and imperfection. This seems to be common trait with ancient rulers; they needed to be considered vastly superior to the common man or they would not be able to gain the respect of their people.
What I found interesting in this week’s reading of African culture was that at one time the Aksum kingdom embraced Christianity, many African cultures flourished in gold, iron, ivory and many other things, native Africans had their own language, and finally that many people in Africa were polygamist. Around AD 330 the Aksum kingdom in Africa embracing Christianity and through their faith the spread there trade to the Roman Empire. The kingdom’s conversion of Christianity was done by a Syrian Christian named Frumentius.
I found the contrast of the different family structures in the eastern and African cultures interesting. In America and Europe today, only a mother, father, and their children will live in the same house, sometimes with an ailing elder relative. In Africa and Asia, however, basically everyone who was related would live together. Admittedly, this was in ancient times, but I think some people in the East live under the same idea today.
-Katie
I find it interesting that the Mali kings were given a position like a god but without the title. Just like
other kings of the ancient world the Mali kings could not be seen or portrayed as fallible, they had to
maintain the aura of power around themselves. The thing that is totally ridicules is that the people
who served him and I’m sure quite a few of the common people knew that the king was just like them.
He was not a superhuman, someone who was somehow above them.
One similarity in the chapter that I thought was pretty cool was Frumentius and Joseph. They were both sold into slavery, Frumentius by pirates and Joseph by his brothers. Earning the trust of some of the most powerful rulers in their country, both rose to high governmental positions with great power. Frumentius and Joseph both accomplished great things for God because of their dedication and faithfulness.
What i found to be interesting about this weeks reading was the stroy of frumentius. The story of Frumentius is kinda like the story of joseph. frumentius and his brother were sold into slavery, and God used what seemed like a bad thing and turned it into a good thing. He used Frumentius to bring christianity to aksum.
Reading Journal for Week 16 Aaron Mihic
Something that I thought was very significant in this week's readings was how many kingdoms were actually in Africa. When I think of Africa I think of animals and nothing else at all. This really changed my perspective on Africa. There were so many kingdoms that flourished there and they were just as advanced as other civilizations at the time. They had trade and had gold and numerous other treasures. Each civilization liked different things more than others. For example, the Benin kingdom was known for making very nice bronze statues and items and how the Kanem kingdom liked military items and camel caravans. Another thing that I think is interesting is when you look at the map of where all the ancient civilizations are they are all by that one spot. Most likely they wanted to all be by that one area since there are so many rivers for growing crops. There were no civilizations near the Congo River. I wonder why they didn't go there to live. No other civilizations are near the Congo River which would make it easy to take over. It seems that they were all fighting at that same place, even though there is some land that is just as good a while away.
SORRY THIS IS LATE: I WAS OUT OF TOWN. Will have a signed parental exemption at class Mr. Parker
Anywho,
This week, what struck me was the depth of African culture that I didn’t know existed before. I always pictured the Africans as tribal scavengers, living from one hunting ground to the next with little language and no sophisticated culture as they were distanced from the class of the European and Arabic societies. Yet, although separated geographically by the Sahara Desert, many African cultures had rich societies. First, they had the coherence to execute war strategies. Second, they also were master craftsmen. And finally, the African nations had established cultures and flourishing societies that were in no way primitive. I was amazed this week at the diverse and advanced cultures of Ancient Africa.
Post a Comment