I think it is particularly interesting to note that certain words in Chinese are made up of multiple symbols. I find this fascinating writing system one the most creative concepts of writing in history. The Chinese spoken language is difficult to grasp, and because the tone emphasis varies in each area of China, communication with one another has proven to be difficult. Although both China’s writing system and spoken language are beautiful to the eye, and confusing to the ear, their functional value is of poor quality. I think I will stick to learning English!
It is believed by some that the Japanese goddess Izanami and god Izanagi dipped a jeweled spear into water forming islands, which we call Japan. They lived there long enough to create inhabitants for the islands, before leaving back to their royal mountain home.
This myth was passed on from person to person along the Japanese race. Not only is the myth entertaining but the god and goddesses names are so unlike our everyday-21st centry-american names that it gives the myth a little intriguing aspect to it. I quickly became inthralled with Japanese mythology, and I hope to have some extra time to research other myths.
Something I found extremely interesting this week was the comparison between India, China, and Japan. There were so many similarities,yet they were all so different. One thing that these cultures shared was, man centered religion. (Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, and Shintoism) And I quote,"instead of worshiping the true living God, they follow after polytheism, idols, superstition, vain philosophies, myths, and fables." Unquote. These religions centered on man didn't hold any hope whatsoever beyond life on earth, because only in Christ can we have hope for the life beyond this one. I found it extremely sad that these cultures,immersed in the murky waters of sin and ignorance did not know Christ, who can sweep the sin away and give hope and life to all who seek Him.
Sparkle is Cassie trying to figure out how to get her real name on there by the way......if anyone was wondering how a sparkle got into this blog. Sparkles are talented!
Something I found very interesting in this week's reading was the way that these Asian civilizations (China, India and Japan) have firmly stood by their traditions for such along period of time. As Americans, change is part of our every day life – new fads, new fashion, new technology, everything new and improved. Very few things stay the same. However new ideas and ways seemed to have no place in the society of these set apart Eastern cultures. “So deeply were their cultures rooted in the beliefs and customs passed down from generation to generation that there remained little room for new ideas and ways.” The unfortunate part about their traditions is that none of them have anything to do with God, the one who we should all make a tradition of following!
I thought it was interesting how a few sayings of Confucius were similar to proverbs in the Bible. For example, the saying "Where there is habitual going after gain, there is much ill-will" (page 156), sounds like "Whoever is greedy for unjust gain troubles his own household, but he who hates bribes will live." (Prov. 15:27) The teaching of Taoism in page 157 says "The soft overcomes the hard; the weak overcomes the strong." This reminded me of Prov. 15:1: "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." I learned that although the two religions "agree" in certain ways, they completely disagree in the most important parts, e.g. how we came to be here, the purpose of life, personal relationships with God.
Some of Confucius’s teachings reflected the values that God teaches, and yet, at the same time, his teachings were exactly the opposite of the bible. His whole idea was that if a person acted the correct way and did was right he could become completely happy. Confucius’s values for doing good, were right, but he went about getting happiness all wrong. We can’t become happy through our own actions. The bible tells us not to focus on our works, but instead on God, and that is how we gain happiness. “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.” Mathew 6:23(NKJV)
I found it interesting how each culture had groups. China's group was the extended family. Japan's group was clans. Finally, the Mongols had small tribes. Groups were important to these ancient civilizations. I think a person within each culture found these groups beneficial. Each group was like a big family that could help each other and with whom they could share their troubles. They would stick together through hard times and good times. Like Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 (NIV) says, "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?Though one may be overpowered two can defend themselves. A cord of three is not quickly broken." This verse perfectly illustrates the thinking of the three civilizations and their groups.
It was cool how much China affected Japan. China's ideas, learning, and art flowed into Japan. The Japanese could then keep written records. Sadly, along with all these great things came Buddhism. The Buddhist monks taught the Chinese way of life. Prince Shototku made Buddhism a national favorite. the Japanese also borrowed the Chinese's weights, measurements, medical practices, fashion, and calendar.
I thought it was interesting how our chapter said the Japan was profoundly influenced by China. It caused me to wonder where they would be if that hadn't happened? I feel like Japan could be on the verge of world domination through the samurai or something. Also the whole Bushido/honor thing reminded me of what we learned from the iron ring, in literature, about the Kshatriya's code of honor, dharma.
If you have an item that you think we should post on this blog, write it up and click here to send it to us. New entries are reviewed at least once a week.
11 comments:
I think it is particularly interesting to note that certain words in Chinese are made up of multiple symbols. I find this fascinating writing system one the most creative concepts of writing in history. The Chinese spoken language is difficult to grasp, and because the tone emphasis varies in each area of China, communication with one another has proven to be difficult. Although both China’s writing system and spoken language are beautiful to the eye, and confusing to the ear, their functional value is of poor quality. I think I will stick to learning English!
Japan’s creation Myth.
It is believed by some that the Japanese goddess Izanami and god Izanagi dipped a jeweled spear into water forming islands, which we call Japan. They lived there long enough to create inhabitants for the islands, before leaving back to their royal mountain home.
This myth was passed on from person to person along the Japanese race. Not only is the myth entertaining but the god and goddesses names are so unlike our everyday-21st centry-american names that it gives the myth a little intriguing aspect to it. I quickly became inthralled with Japanese mythology, and I hope to have some extra time to research other myths.
Something I found extremely interesting this week was the comparison between India, China, and Japan. There were so many similarities,yet they were all so different. One thing that these cultures shared was, man centered religion. (Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, Taoism, and Shintoism) And I quote,"instead of worshiping the true living God, they follow after polytheism, idols, superstition, vain philosophies, myths, and fables." Unquote. These religions centered on man didn't hold any hope whatsoever beyond life on earth, because only in Christ can we have hope for the life beyond this one. I found it extremely sad that these cultures,immersed in the murky waters of sin and ignorance did not know Christ, who can sweep the sin away and give hope and life to all who seek Him.
Sparkle is Cassie trying to figure out how to get her real name on there by the way......if anyone was wondering how a sparkle got into this blog. Sparkles are talented!
Something I found very interesting in this week's reading was the way that these Asian civilizations (China, India and Japan) have firmly stood by their traditions for such along period of time. As Americans, change is part of our every day life – new fads, new fashion, new technology, everything new and improved. Very few things stay the same. However new ideas and ways seemed to have no place in the society of these set apart Eastern cultures. “So deeply were their cultures rooted in the beliefs and customs passed down from generation to generation that there remained little room for new ideas and ways.” The unfortunate part about their traditions is that none of them have anything to do with God, the one who we should all make a tradition of following!
I thought it was interesting how a few sayings of Confucius were similar to proverbs in the Bible. For example, the saying "Where there is habitual going after gain, there is much ill-will" (page 156), sounds like "Whoever is greedy for unjust gain troubles his own household, but he who hates bribes will live." (Prov. 15:27) The teaching of Taoism in page 157 says "The soft overcomes the hard; the weak overcomes the strong." This reminded me of Prov. 15:1: "A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." I learned that although the two religions "agree" in certain ways, they completely disagree in the most important parts, e.g. how we came to be here, the purpose of life, personal relationships with God.
Some of Confucius’s teachings reflected the values that God teaches, and yet, at the same time, his teachings were exactly the opposite of the bible. His whole idea was that if a person acted the correct way and did was right he could become completely happy. Confucius’s values for doing good, were right, but he went about getting happiness all wrong. We can’t become happy through our own actions. The bible tells us not to focus on our works, but instead on God, and that is how we gain happiness.
“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.” Mathew 6:23(NKJV)
I found it interesting how each culture had groups.
China's group was the extended family. Japan's group was clans. Finally, the Mongols had small tribes. Groups were important to these ancient civilizations. I think a person within each culture found these groups beneficial. Each group was like a big family that could help each other and with whom they could share their troubles. They would stick together through hard times and good times. Like Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 (NIV) says, "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up. Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?Though one may be overpowered two can defend themselves. A cord of three is not quickly broken." This verse perfectly illustrates the thinking of the three civilizations and their groups.
It was cool how much China affected Japan. China's ideas, learning, and art flowed into Japan. The Japanese could then keep written records. Sadly, along with all these great things came Buddhism. The Buddhist monks taught the Chinese way of life. Prince Shototku made Buddhism a national favorite. the Japanese also borrowed the Chinese's weights, measurements, medical practices, fashion, and calendar.
I thought it was interesting how our chapter said the Japan was profoundly influenced by China. It caused me to wonder where they would be if that hadn't happened? I feel like Japan could be on the verge of world domination through the samurai or something.
Also the whole Bushido/honor thing reminded me of what we learned from the iron ring, in literature, about the Kshatriya's code of honor, dharma.
Mr. Parker, will you please post the next reading so that we can post our journal entries? Thank you!
Blessings,
Caitlyn
Post a Comment