Please watch: "Hadrian's Wall"
Vindolanda Letters Project: After watching the previous documentary. Please have a look at one of the more complete documents from this list:
http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/4DLink2/4DACTION/WebRequestBrowse?searchType=browse&searchField=type&submit=Type
Please allow a fair amount of research time!
Once you have found a fairly complete document, read through the English translation. Think about the letter, place it into context, and imagine who wrote it and why. Then, add further context by filling out the remainder of the letter fragment in authentic style (i.e. flesh out the words into a complete letter). Once you have done that, then imagine who received the letter and write a response to it from an imaginary correspondent (use the original letter as evidence when you write your response).
Step-by-Step:
1. Go through the lists of fragments on the website above.
2. Choose one of the fragments from the site, it should be long enough to get a sense of its intent.
3. Think about the intention of the fragment.
4. Flesh out the fragment into a complete letter
5. Write another letter responding to your fleshed out version of the fragment.
16 comments:
Mr. Parker, what did you want us to do with the "Vindolanda letters research project?" I looked up the site, and there wasn't really anything substantial on the home page.
Cassie, I've added instructions now, let me know if it isn't clear enough.I'm still trying to fill in all the details.
Do we have to write all this out or just think it all through?
I mean write everything out besides the imaginary response
Mr. Parker
On the websites it gives a list of a bunch of different documents besides letters. Do we just just use the letters? Also, what do you mean my research?
Okay I am really confused by this assignment. Could you clarify exactly what you want us to do?
It is just the instructions don't seem that clear to me and I want to be exactly sure what I am supposed to do.
Mr. Parker, I can't find the letter translations on the website. All I can find is the commentary on them. Where are the actual letters?
Mr. Parker, when I want to see the English version of the tablets, this is what comes up:
TVII Tablet: 118
Search Result: 1
Title: Writing exercise
Category: Literary and sub-literary texts
Translation:
The words end at Translation:. Is there something else I should do to find where the translation is?
Sorry, I was looking in the wrong place. I found the translations.
Mr. Parker, I just have one question. If some words on the tablets are missing, may we add or make up words that fit the context of the letter?
@Renee, yes! your primary assignment is to add words!
@Betsy, you only need to write out your expanded version of the letter you choose, and the response
Should we post are letters on the blog?
Hi RW! We turned our in during class, I'm assuming that is what you guys are going to do as well.
Post a Comment