Thursday, April 4, 2013

Monday Posts

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I found it interesting how God used two negative things to help spread the gospel. The Christians in that time were probably wondering why God would let Paul persecute them, but God had a plan for Paul. God changed his heart and Paul ended up spreading the gospel by traveling places and introducing the gospel to many areas. He also wrote letters to the churches. Another event that the Christians might have questioned was the destruction of Jerusalem. When this happened, the Christians were scattered and the gospel was spread further. Also it created the separation of the early church from its Jewish environment. “Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think…” (Ephesians 3:20 ESV) This verse shows that God is able to do far more abundantly that we imagine and he always has a greater and better plan for his people.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This week’s reading was cool. It was neat how God prepared the world for the coming of his son and the gospel. But when Jesus started preaching, teaching, and doing miracles, some of the people he came to save started to hate him. They eventually captured him and brought him before Pontius Pilate. He didn't find any fault with Jesus, but the Jews wanted Jesus dead. Pilate eventually gave in and had Jesus crucified. It sounded like the worst way of going out in that time. It was painful, humiliating, and cruel. The amazing thing is Jesus still loved every single person even after they had hurt him, spat on him, and insulted him. Jesus took on every single little and big sin there was and were to be on the earth and made them his very own. Jesus' Father turned his back on him. Then, Jesus died. But that wasn't the end of the story. Three days later Jesus was alive again! Sin died through death. What an awesome Savior!

Unknown said...

I loved reading about the life of Christ, especially so soon after celebrating Easter!
One thing that struck me in particular is "...most Jews rejected him as Messiah." The Jews were looking for a savior to rescue them physically, from the oppression that they faced. Jesus, however, was there instead to save them from their own selfishness.
I think this is something that also happens in our modern day and age. People are constantly searching for something that they think will "complete their life" or something. The sad fact of it is, most never realize that it is a God shaped hole they're trying to fill.

Renée said...

I thought it was interesting how Paul made such an impact with the spread of the gospel. Even though he started out hating and killing Christians (people whom he considered were believing something very wrong), he was changed by God's saving grace. During the Easter service at our church, our pastor commented on 1 Corinthians 15:19, a verse Paul wrote: "If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied." Paul couldn't tolerate believing in a wrong or false teaching, so we know he was truly converted and truly following Christ. Paul's life shows us how radically a person can be changed by God.

Unknown said...

As I was reading I kept thinking of Pontius Pilate. First thing I thought of was his weirdly spelled name but right after that I saw myself reflected through him. In fact I was reminded of every human being. He appears to have been a decent guy. Like all of use he made mistakes. Some people liked him, some didn’t. But the thing that struck me as most similar is he underwent peer pressure. He didn’t want to crucify Jesus. But instead of setting him free, as he had to power to, he handed him over in exchange for Barabus. He bent to the will of others even though he didn’t necessarily agree. I think every human can relate with what I’m saying.

Cassie said...

Something I found amazing this week was how God could use something so horrible as the destruction of Jerusalem for his purpose and glory! God used this calamitous event to distinguish the differences between the early church and the Jewish environment, and to disperse Christians throughout the Roman Empire in order to spread the gospel. "And we know that in all things, God works for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose."-Romans 8:28

Unknown said...

I find it interesting that the important people in Israel, like the Pharisees, who claimed to know God, weren't those who saw Jesus for what he was. The important people were too wrapped up in their own lives to care about Jesus. But the poorer people, the people who didn't matter to the world, were the people who believed in Jesus. Jesus called them be his disciples. He chose people of no importance, people who weren't exactly respected by the rest of the world. But those who were rich and important didn't believe that Jesus was the son of God, or they were afraid of what the would lose if they joined Jesus. The truth is, what Jesus has to offer is far better anything on this earth. The life he has for us is greater than we could ever imagine.

Reagan said...

I thought that it was interesting how the Jews held on so strongly to their laws in the Flavius Josephus reading. When Pilate brought the flags with pictures of Caesar to Jerusalem, the Jews begged to have them removed because their laws forbid them to make images. Pilate told the Jews that if they did not stop pestering him with their complaints, the Jews would be put to death. When the Jews would rather be killed than back away from the law, Pilate was impacted at their firm standing. In the end, he removed the banners. It caused to me to think that hopefully I can have an impact on others by putting my faith before all else, even death.

Unknown said...

Something I found to be interesting in the reading this week was about the destruction of Jerusalem. In about 66AD Josephus warned the Jews about the Romans but the Jews did not take it to mind Josephus's advice. So in 70AD war came upon the Jews and the Romans. The Romans destroyed the walls of Jerusalem, looted the temple, and completely destroyed the city. God judged the Jews for their rejection of Jesus Christ and their persecution of the early church. The jews ended up losing their homeland and became wanderers among the nations of the earth. God used the Jewish environment to scatter Christians all over the Roman Empire.

Caitlyn said...

I thought it was really interesting that, when the Greek and the Jewish cultures mixed, the hope of the coming of the Messiah spread. Because many people stopped being able to understand Hebrew, the old testament was translated into Greek. God used his chosen people to prepare the gentile world for Jesus' coming.

Unknown said...

FYI I did post mine, it is under the 'week 25 homework'

Unknown said...

I never really understood why Pontius Pilate would choose to sentence a man that he knows is innocent, to a brutal death, instead of a man who is known to be a thief and the murderer by all. Also, I never understood why and how the people themselves could turn against Jesus so quickly. Jesus was the best thing that ever happened to them. Jesus came to save them from the very thing they were putting him through. How could they be so blinded by their own sin? The harsh reality is that I think all of us, are blinded by our sin even today. And think by recognizing that, and admitting that to God and asking for his eyes, we might all be a bit less blind.

Renée said...

I don't have time to wait for the Monday blog to appear, so here is my comment:

To be honest, I felt very disturbed as I was reading about Nero. It made me wonder if he had some kind of problem - like something with the brain. Seemingly, he loved violence. He had few friends, well, in the beginning, he may have had more, but he betrayed or murdered many of them by the end of his terrible reign. On more than one occasion, he sent poison to someone, reassuring them it was medicine, or some other healthy and good thing. He attempted to kill his mother that way. (but fortunately she was smart enough not to take the bait) He killed a friend near the end of his reign that way also, sending “poison to Burrus, prefect of the guard, in place of the throat medicine which he had promised him.” (page 21) I just thought it was sad that he committed suicide. He seemed to me a lost, power-hungry man. Even though he caused much pain, his life had a purpose, as it says in 2 Timothy 2:20: “Now in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver but also of wood and clay, some for honorable use, some for dishonorable.”

DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO POST?

If you have an item that you think we should post on this blog, write it up and click here to send it to us. New entries are reviewed at least once a week.