Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Week 21 Speech Forum

The Cicero-style Speech should be about 5 minutes long. If you have any questions, please post them in the comments section below!

38 comments:

Cassie said...

Are we presenting our speeches in class?

GSP said...

Yes.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

What would you like us to have our speeches on?

GSP said...

Whatever you like.

Emily Pitts said...

What are some examples of modern day issues we could write on?

Unknown said...

Can we use visual aids?

GSP said...

@Emily Feel free to present on a topic that is of interest to you...keeping in mind that you will be using the methods from the guidelines.

@Anna, you may, but I'd prefer that you focus on the speech itself.

Cassie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caitlyn said...

Does the issue have to be controversial...or can it just be about something important?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cassie said...

Would you prefer us to use notecards or to write out our speeches?

GSP said...

Either one is fine, however, whatever you write your speech on will have to be handed in, with citations indicating the 10 examples of Cicero-style rhetoric.

GSP said...

Your speeches do not need to be on a controversial topic.

Unknown said...

If we use outside info to back us up do we have to reference it and make a bibliography

GSP said...

No bibliography is required.

Unknown said...

How long must it be

GSP said...

5 minutes minimum

Unknown said...

If I think that I have beat down all the arguments in my confirmation can I omit the refutation

Kristen said...

Where are the directions?!?!?!?!?

GSP said...

@Porter Please include all the steps, even those which may not seem essential in the context.

@Rebekah page 27-28 of the coursepack & online at the Cicero's Rhetoric page posted on the blog.

Unknown said...

Mr Parker I just wanted to tell you that someone got on the blog as anonymous and the now have all our emails I got an email just now saying that the anonymous was removed so now instead of "attacking" the blog the will " attack" us on email

Unknown said...

My apple says this persons name is Jewel Mcbein

GSP said...

Thanks for letting me know! I think that it is one of your fellow students.

Cassie said...

Can our speeches be over 5 minutes, (reasonably) or is there a strict limit?

Unknown said...

Do we have to use 10 different literary term or is it okay to use 1 term more than once and count it with the required 10?

Unknown said...

what if we can't seem to fit 10 methods in are speech?

GSP said...

@Cassie, your speech cannot go over 8 minutes.

@Anna You have to use 10 different methods.

@Madelyn, you should be able to fit 10 methods in. Email me if you need ideas.

Kristen said...

Can we use random class mates and bring them up front for examples

Kristen said...

Oh and I forgot can we use more than ten of Cicero's Rhetoric!!!!!

RW Rienow said...

would it be all right if I spoke about baseball and why it is not boring or easy? As many of my friends would say that baseball is boring or easy

Unknown said...

Mr. Parker should I present my speech next week? I wanted to see everyone else's :(
also when else can I lead discussion??

GSP said...

@Rebekah no.yes.

@RW yes

@Betsy Yes! Several of your classmates will be presenting with you. Hope you feel better! We'll have to figure out a time for discussion leader.

RW Rienow said...

Thanks Mr. Parker!

Unknown said...

Mr. parker, can I use a visuals with my speech? they would really support my particular topic and arouse sympathy.

Unknown said...

sorry, can I use SOME visuals

RW Rienow said...

Mr. Parker, I timed my speech and it was about 7:30, is that all right?

GSP said...

@Leah, sorry no visuals please. try and focus on using the gestures we discussed.

@RW that's fine!

DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO POST?

If you have an item that you think we should post on this blog, write it up and click here to send it to us. New entries are reviewed at least once a week.