Learning about the differences between the Carthaginians and Romans was very interesting; especially the fact that the Carthaginian soldiers were mainly mercenaries, while the Roman soldiers were natives, and thus had a greater incentive to fight.
What I found to be interesting during this week's reading was the paragraph about the Siege of Syracuse that occurred during the Second Punic war. The fact that all of the unusual war machines could hurl 500 pound stones and other missiles to great distances was so much fun to read about. I mean, what guy doesn't enjoy things that can pick up ships with chains, hooks, and claws and smash ships onto rocks. Or Mirrors that can set ships on fire. Plus the fact that they were all invented and directed by a Mathematician was amazing as well.
I thought that how nice the Romans were to the places they conquered was interesting. Even to there enemy such as the Carthaginians. Also I thought the little section that described the hair styles in Rome was interesting.
I found it interesting that the Romans were the first to come up with a plan for boarding ships. In the book it states the Romans were able to capture a Carthaginian ship and they built more ships using the foreign ship as the model. The book also states the Carthaginian ships were used for ramming. After looking at a picture of a Carthaginian ship it seems maneuverability was very minimal. The boat has two square sails and looked to house about 30 oars a side.
What I found interesting from this weeks readings, was the fact that some of Hannibal’s war strategies were used in battles during WWII. It blows my mind, how the strategies and tactics of one man can impact the generations of men more than two hundred thousand years later. Hannibal’s tactics were so simple, yet so advanced at the same time. For example, in the clip that we watched, when Hannibal had his forces shaped like a bow. The middle would strike first and then slowly retreat, letting the rest of the bow circle around the Romans. As soon as three sides of the Romans were under attack, Hannibal then sent his cavalry at the remaining side of the Romans. What amazes me are the casualties of the Romans. The Romans lost sixty thousand men, while Hannibal only lost six thousand. The Romans lost ten times more men than the Carthaginians. Newer does not always mean better even some of the oldest things, such as military tactics, can sometimes overpower the newer things.
What I found interesting in this week’s video was how Hannibal used his tactics to conquer Roman but in the end never succeed in defeating them. Hannibal was an incredible General who trained his well in character and strength. Today many Historians compare him to Alexander the Great who was one of the greatest conquers in the world. Hannibal’s strategies are still used today and are being studied by experts today. He fought the war for fifteen years and won every battle but kept losing soldiers. In the video I found it interesting how Hannibal with forty thousand men crossed the Alps and fought the Romans and won the battle. One of the strategies that he used to fight Romans was a formation like a bow.
I found it very satisfying that all of the Romans' military might and prowess was repulsed by the inventions of one brilliant man. Archimedes nearly single-handedly defended Syracuse against the whole Roman army. I liked that Rome's power was defeated by Archimedes' intelligence. -Katie
I think Hannibal proved in this week’s readings the brain is always superior over brawn. While the Romans prided themselves on their mighty armies and great numerous forces, Hannibal used ingenious tactics to rout the Roman armies. I think we can apply this to our own lives as well. The book of Proverbs always chastens the brash and impulsive and praises the wise. As we make decisions and prepare to go forward in life, we must keep a level head and calculate what the best path is. But we as Christians must remember to be wise but also to trust in God for our strength. He will protect us, and he will “make our paths straight,” as it says in Psalms. We must be wise and follow God before we can face the ‘enemy’ each and every day.
One thing I found interesting in the reading was the difference between the Romans and Carthaginians. Carthage possessed well established means to be superior on water, while the Romans were stronger on land. Carthaginians hired mercenaries, causing them to depend on other nations rather than their own. On the other hand, Rome had native troops. This independence would benefit Rome because, unlike Carthage, Rome relied upon its allies and itself.
What interested me the me the most about this reading was hannibals war tactics. I thought it was very impressive how at the battle of Cannae Hannibal only lost six thousand men while Rome lost nearly sixty thousand. It was also interesting to find out that hits tactics are still being studied today, and that his tactics were used in WWII.
If you have an item that you think we should post on this blog, write it up and click here to send it to us. New entries are reviewed at least once a week.
10 comments:
Learning about the differences between the Carthaginians and Romans was very interesting; especially the fact that the Carthaginian soldiers were mainly mercenaries, while the Roman soldiers were natives, and thus had a greater incentive to fight.
What I found to be interesting during this week's reading was the paragraph about the Siege of Syracuse that occurred during the Second Punic war. The fact that all of the unusual war machines could hurl 500 pound stones and other missiles to great distances was so much fun to read about. I mean, what guy doesn't enjoy things that can pick up ships with chains, hooks, and claws and smash ships onto rocks. Or Mirrors that can set ships on fire. Plus the fact that they were all invented and directed by a Mathematician was amazing as well.
I thought that how nice the Romans were to the places they conquered was interesting. Even to there enemy such as the Carthaginians. Also I thought the little section that described the hair styles in Rome was interesting.
I found it interesting that the Romans were the first to come up with a plan for boarding ships. In the book it states the Romans were able to capture a Carthaginian ship and they built more ships using the foreign ship as the model. The book also states the Carthaginian ships were used for ramming. After looking at a picture of a Carthaginian ship it seems maneuverability was very minimal. The boat has two square sails and looked to house about 30 oars a side.
What I found interesting from this weeks readings, was the fact that some of Hannibal’s war strategies were used in battles during WWII. It blows my mind, how the strategies and tactics of one man can impact the generations of men more than two hundred thousand years later. Hannibal’s tactics were so simple, yet so advanced at the same time. For example, in the clip that we watched, when Hannibal had his forces shaped like a bow. The middle would strike first and then slowly retreat, letting the rest of the bow circle around the Romans. As soon as three sides of the Romans were under attack, Hannibal then sent his cavalry at the remaining side of the Romans. What amazes me are the casualties of the Romans. The Romans lost sixty thousand men, while Hannibal only lost six thousand. The Romans lost ten times more men than the Carthaginians. Newer does not always mean better even some of the oldest things, such as military tactics, can sometimes overpower the newer things.
What I found interesting in this week’s video was how Hannibal used his tactics to conquer Roman but in the end never succeed in defeating them. Hannibal was an incredible General who trained his well in character and strength. Today many Historians compare him to Alexander the Great who was one of the greatest conquers in the world. Hannibal’s strategies are still used today and are being studied by experts today. He fought the war for fifteen years and won every battle but kept losing soldiers. In the video I found it interesting how Hannibal with forty thousand men crossed the Alps and fought the Romans and won the battle. One of the strategies that he used to fight Romans was a formation like a bow.
I found it very satisfying that all of the Romans' military might and prowess was repulsed by the inventions of one brilliant man. Archimedes nearly single-handedly defended Syracuse against the whole Roman army. I liked that Rome's power was defeated by Archimedes' intelligence.
-Katie
I think Hannibal proved in this week’s readings the brain is always superior over brawn. While the Romans prided themselves on their mighty armies and great numerous forces, Hannibal used ingenious tactics to rout the Roman armies. I think we can apply this to our own lives as well. The book of Proverbs always chastens the brash and impulsive and praises the wise. As we make decisions and prepare to go forward in life, we must keep a level head and calculate what the best path is. But we as Christians must remember to be wise but also to trust in God for our strength. He will protect us, and he will “make our paths straight,” as it says in Psalms. We must be wise and follow God before we can face the ‘enemy’ each and every day.
One thing I found interesting in the reading was the difference between the Romans and Carthaginians. Carthage possessed well established means to be superior on water, while the Romans were stronger on land. Carthaginians hired mercenaries, causing them to depend on other nations rather than their own. On the other hand, Rome had native troops. This independence would benefit Rome because, unlike Carthage, Rome relied upon its allies and itself.
What interested me the me the most about this reading was hannibals war tactics. I thought it was very impressive how at the battle of Cannae Hannibal only lost six thousand men while Rome lost nearly sixty thousand. It was also interesting to find out that hits tactics are still being studied today, and that his tactics were used in WWII.
Post a Comment