In this weeks reading something that stuck out to me was a man named Lucius Tarquinius. What stuck out the most was how when he became ruler and was reigning without being elected by the people or confirmed by the senate. He also had no hope of winning the affections of his citizens. Lucius had to controls his dominion with fear. Lucius had nothing what so ever by which to make his claim good to the crown except actual violence. Lucius the first king to break through the traditional custom of consulting a senate on all questions. Lucius Tarquinius was a king and a ruler but lived his life in fear and people disliking him. But as far as I can see he didn't want to change his actions or attitude for this to change.
The story about Romulus and Remus was really cool. Their mother shouldn't have had the twins. She was thrown into prison and they were to be drowned.The river was overflowing its banks so nobody was willing to get too close. The people put the twins into the point nearest to the overflow. Romulus and Remus floated down to dry land. A female wolf came by because of their cries. She nursed them and licked them. The king's flock master found them and took them to his wife so she could raise the twins.
I found it really interesting how Servius created regulation of equipment and divided the army unit. The first class in the army was people who had 100,000 pounds of property. Additionally, in the first class was two centuries of carpenters, whose job was to work all the equipment for the army. Next, there was the second class of twenty centuries, that had property amounting between 75,000- 100,000 pounds. In the third class were people who had as low as 50,000 pounds of property. In dividing of the forth class, they had to have property did not fall below 25,000 pounds. Lastly, the fifth class had the largest century, thirty. In addition to the fifth class were one division of horn-blowers and trumpeters. If found it strange how the first class was assigned to the front of battle. I would have assumed that Servius would put the poorer class first. Something else that was different was the men had to provide their own armour. So that is probably why Servius put the richer men first because they had enough money to pay for all the armour.
I found Romulus and Remus both to be extremely selfish. They both wanted the new city to be named after them, and they neither of them ever stopped for a moment to consider the other person. They were each so focused on themselves, that Remus ended up getting killed. Other characters had similar attitudes. All they cared about was getting what they wanted, and it didn't matter what happened to anyone else. That is not a good way to live. Philippians 2:3-4 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of others.
One thing that I found particularly interesting, and very sad, was the situation of new Rome and the absence of woman to continue the increase in population. I was struck by the heartless way that the Roman men dealt with the problem. While the idea of marrying within the different surrounding cities was an excellent idea to solve the problem, it was also a superb government strategy. Instead of bringing out this plan with diplomacy however, they resolved to abduct young girls during public games. The Romans violated the laws of hospitality towards the visiting people from the surrounding cities, thus causing more problems for Rome in the long run. I can only image the horror of those young woman and their parents, after the turmoil at the games. While the Roman’s reasons for the capture of the young woman was a legitimate, I think they should have handled it differently.
An interesting fact I found in this weeks reading was the way Romulus handled the absence of women in Rome.In his hope of continuing his kingdom, he sent envoys to the surrounding nations in hopes that they would allow intermarriage between the young men of Rome and the women of these nations. The other nations however, (much to the annoyance of Romulus) were becoming concerned at the rapidly growing size and power of Rome. I must say that I would be reluctant too, given the fact that if the nations allowed intermarriage, Rome would continue to grow and possibly pose a significant threat to any other nation. Romulus however was not disheartened and came up with a clever plan to trick the families of the maidens to come to a celebration and games in honor of the "Equestrian Neptune". Under the distraction of the sport the sport the Romans abducted the unsuspecting maidens right under the noses of their families. While I thought this was not a very wise course of action for Romulus to take given the fact that he would probably make a lot of new enemies, however I must admit his plan was never the less rather witty. Also I found it amusing that a large number of maidens were carried off without notice. This plan of Romulus' reminded me of an old movie called Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. In this film much the same thing takes place. The brothers decide they want to be married, so they abduct the maiden of their choice under the cover of night. Like in the story of Romulus, the families of the maidens were less then happy. I know I would be mad if my daughter was carried off (not that I have a daughter) or if I was the maiden abducted. I am very glad we have proposals today instead.
Sorry Mr. Parker I just got home. My comment is basically about how the Roman men abducting their wives reminded me of the movie "7 Brides for 7 Brothers", in which the 7 brothers go into town and kidnap the women they are in love with and steal them away. It's really funny, however, and I didn't get the sense that what the Romans did was anything to laugh about :P
This week, you told us to do the section quiz in our textbook on page 83. Are we supposed to do the other section quiz on page 80, even though you do not tell us to do so in the syllabus?
If you have an item that you think we should post on this blog, write it up and click here to send it to us. New entries are reviewed at least once a week.
11 comments:
In this weeks reading something that stuck out to me was a man named Lucius Tarquinius. What stuck out the most was how when he became ruler and was reigning without being elected by the people or confirmed by the senate. He also had no hope of winning the affections of his citizens. Lucius had to controls his dominion with fear. Lucius had nothing what so ever by which to make his claim good to the crown except actual violence. Lucius the first king to break through the traditional custom of consulting a senate on all questions. Lucius Tarquinius was a king and a ruler but lived his life in fear and people disliking him. But as far as I can see he didn't want to change his actions or attitude for this to change.
The story about Romulus and Remus was really cool. Their mother shouldn't have had the twins. She was thrown into prison and they were to be drowned.The river was overflowing its banks so nobody was willing to get too close. The people put the twins into the point nearest to the overflow. Romulus and Remus floated down to dry land. A female wolf came by because of their cries. She nursed them and licked them. The king's flock master found them and took them to his wife so she could raise the twins.
I found it really interesting how Servius created regulation of equipment and divided the army unit. The first class in the army was people who had 100,000 pounds of property. Additionally, in the first class was two centuries of carpenters, whose job was to work all the equipment for the army. Next, there was the second class of twenty centuries, that had property amounting between 75,000- 100,000 pounds. In the third class were people who had as low as 50,000 pounds of property. In dividing of the forth class, they had to have property did not fall below 25,000 pounds. Lastly, the fifth class had the largest century, thirty. In addition to the fifth class were one division of horn-blowers and trumpeters. If found it strange how the first class was assigned to the front of battle. I would have assumed that Servius would put the poorer class first. Something else that was different was the men had to provide their own armour. So that is probably why Servius put the richer men first because they had enough money to pay for all the armour.
I found Romulus and Remus both to be extremely selfish. They both wanted the new city to be named after them, and they neither of them ever stopped for a moment to consider the other person. They were each so focused on themselves, that Remus ended up getting killed. Other characters had similar attitudes. All they cared about was getting what they wanted, and it didn't matter what happened to anyone else. That is not a good way to live.
Philippians 2:3-4
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of others.
One thing that I found particularly interesting, and very sad, was the situation of new Rome and the absence of woman to continue the increase in population. I was struck by the heartless way that the Roman men dealt with the problem. While the idea of marrying within the different surrounding cities was an excellent idea to solve the problem, it was also a superb government strategy. Instead of bringing out this plan with diplomacy however, they resolved to abduct young girls during public games. The Romans violated the laws of hospitality towards the visiting people from the surrounding cities, thus causing more problems for Rome in the long run.
I can only image the horror of those young woman and their parents, after the turmoil at the games. While the Roman’s reasons for the capture of the young woman was a legitimate, I think they should have handled it differently.
I agree with you Maggie. Both of them were jerks. And they were brothers too!
An interesting fact I found in this weeks reading was the way Romulus handled the absence of women in Rome.In his hope of continuing his kingdom, he sent envoys to the surrounding nations in hopes that they would allow intermarriage between the young men of Rome and the women of these nations. The other nations however, (much to the annoyance of Romulus) were becoming concerned at the rapidly growing size and power of Rome. I must say that I would be reluctant too, given the fact that if the nations allowed intermarriage, Rome would continue to grow and possibly pose a significant threat to any other nation. Romulus however was not disheartened and came up with a clever plan to trick the families of the maidens to come to a celebration and games in honor of the "Equestrian Neptune". Under the distraction of the sport the sport the Romans abducted the unsuspecting maidens right under the noses of their families. While I thought this was not a very wise course of action for Romulus to take given the fact that he would probably make a lot of new enemies, however I must admit his plan was never the less rather witty. Also I found it amusing that a large number of maidens were carried off without notice. This plan of Romulus' reminded me of an old movie called Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. In this film much the same thing takes place. The brothers decide they want to be married, so they abduct the maiden of their choice under the cover of night. Like in the story of Romulus, the families of the maidens were less then happy. I know I would be mad if my daughter was carried off (not that I have a daughter) or if I was the maiden abducted. I am very glad we have proposals today instead.
Sorry Mr. Parker I just got home.
My comment is basically about how the Roman men abducting their wives reminded me of the movie "7 Brides for 7 Brothers", in which the 7 brothers go into town and kidnap the women they are in love with and steal them away. It's really funny, however, and I didn't get the sense that what the Romans did was anything to laugh about :P
That is funny! Betsy you and i had the same connection!
Mr. Parker,
This week, you told us to do the section quiz in our textbook on page 83. Are we supposed to do the other section quiz on page 80, even though you do not tell us to do so in the syllabus?
Does anyone have any good way to research Africa?
Post a Comment