Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Viva Voce Topics

For our Viva Voce this year (April 21-22) we will be examining Plutarch's Lives. You will be answering the question: 'Who was Caesar?' or 'Who was Cato the Younger?' etc.

You may use your own translation of Plutarch's lives, or the links below. Please ask any questions in the comments.










8 comments:

Nicole Samuelson said...

And don't worry, I'll not only ask you any questions, I'll proabably ask EVERY question. ;)

Unknown said...

Nicole...settle down please. We still have weeks upon weeks to prepare for things we haven't learned about yet :D

Nicole Samuelson said...

I can't settle down. I just don't do that. ;P

Nicole Samuelson said...

Mr. Parker, i tried posting this but it never came up on the actual blog...some of the articles aren't finished...like they stop in the middle of a sentence. So how do we do this? And how do we say who Caesar was in three points?

GSP said...

I posted new links, however you might also try checking out a copy of Plutarch's Lives at the library as well.

Nicole Samuelson said...

Ok, thank you. And how do we answer the question in only three points? Give a short biography of the person in three sections? ???

GSP said...

You should think about this like an essay, try to find a central thesis...and three supporting points.

Imagine it like this, let's say I was giving my viva on "Who was Hitler?"

I'm going to argue that Hitler was an evil man because of the fact that he was a frustrated artist...my evidence will be

A. he was a painter who couldn't get into art school or sell his art,

B. he spent most of his political career focusing on the aesthetics of his political party (racial appearance, snappy uniforms, making films, public events/speeches, art contests, and rebuilding Berlin in a new style of architecture)

C. His focus on aesthetics led him to dehumanize individuals as he saw them as part of his 'art work'.

Conclusion: thus his evil really resulted from his frustrated artistic impulses being applied to humans instead of a canvas...

Does that help?

Nicole Samuelson said...

Ok, I get it now. ;) Kind of like a five paragraph essay. Thank you!

DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO POST?

If you have an item that you think we should post on this blog, write it up and click here to send it to us. New entries are reviewed at least once a week.